Combat Squad Primus of the Ultramarines 2nd Company.
This is the first installment of the progression on my Ultramarines force. I'm not sure how long this squad took me, but it sure feels like quite awhile. I haven't painted mini's since I last played back in the days of 2nd edition. Over all I feel these turned out quite well.
- I started from a base coat of Chaos Black primer and then painted the armor with a 1:1 mix of Chaos Black and Regal Blue, including the deep recesses of the armor plates.
- Next I used a 1:1 mix of Regal Blue and Ultramarines Blue to build up the color of the armor, taking care not to get any in recesses.
- To make the extreme highlights I then applied a thin line of Ultramarines Blue to the edges of the armor plates excluding the shoulder guards, followed by another even thinner line of a 1:1 mix Ultramarines Blue and Space Wolves Grey.
- The gold chest eagles and shoulder guard trim was first painted Brazen Brass to give me a good foundation. I then built upon this with Shining Gold, followed by Brown Ink to give me some better shading effects.
- Lastly the chest eagle and shoulder guard trim was highlighted with a 1:1 mix Shining Gold and Mithril Silver.