Sunday, August 3, 2008

Ultramarines: Army Progress - Post One


Combat Squad Primus of the Ultramarines 2nd Company.

This is the first installment of the progression on my Ultramarines force. I'm not sure how long this squad took me, but it sure feels like quite awhile. I haven't painted mini's since I last played back in the days of 2nd edition. Over all I feel these turned out quite well.

NOTES:
  • I started from a base coat of Chaos Black primer and then painted the armor with a 1:1 mix of Chaos Black and Regal Blue, including the deep recesses of the armor plates.
  • Next I used a 1:1 mix of Regal Blue and Ultramarines Blue to build up the color of the armor, taking care not to get any in recesses.
  • To make the extreme highlights I then applied a thin line of Ultramarines Blue to the edges of the armor plates excluding the shoulder guards, followed by another even thinner line of a 1:1 mix Ultramarines Blue and Space Wolves Grey.
  • The gold chest eagles and shoulder guard trim was first painted Brazen Brass to give me a good foundation. I then built upon this with Shining Gold, followed by Brown Ink to give me some better shading effects.
  • Lastly the chest eagle and shoulder guard trim was highlighted with a 1:1 mix Shining Gold and Mithril Silver.

7 comments:

  1. super job. nice camera work too

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude those are one of the best fainted ultramarines i have ever seen. I had so many problems with choosing colour for their armor, one was to dar another to bright, yours look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Oni,

    im starting to paint up my ultramarines and i LOVE your scheme. have you got any further with them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Dj Batman - Unfortunately I've not made much progress with them beyond this squad and a half finished scout squad. I made the decision to set them aside temporarily to focus on other projects, but will be returning to them in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear!!
    Make sure you let us know when your getting back to them as I think the Ultramarines get a bad wrap as a lot of the young ones learn to paint with these guys so rarely do you see really nice Ultramarine armies. So I'm hoping that those of us out there who are Ultramarine fans properly represents what the boys in blue can do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am Ultramarine player, and like your paint sheme, bat have sugestion...

    If you drill hole on bolters, you get better models...
    Painting hole on bolter barrel spoil impression on good paint job...

    On other side excelent paint job

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job. I'm currently in the process of stripping all my old models & I've found your painting guide informative, going to be the next "test" I do with my old squads.

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

Recommended Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin