Saturday, March 13, 2010

Returning to the Ultramarines – Scouts WIP

I can’t believe its been over two months since my last post.  Time can pass rather quickly when dealing with pesky life issues.  Anyway…

Getting back to it after a solid two month hiatus I’ve decided to return to my Ultramarines.  I’m a fan-boy, what can I say, that and with the new Blood Angel codex coming I figured I’ll take a step back from doing red.  

I’ve started making progress on my scouts, which are thankfully coming along very nicely.  When I fist dove into these guys I was a bit apprehensive as there is a lot of white (anyone who’s painted white onto black understands), but so far so good.

Ultramarines Scouts WIPKeeping with (what I feel is) a slightly better than table-top standard these guys are all done in mostly the same manner as my tactical squad.

  • Flesh – Tanned Flesh was used as a base coat.  Dwarf Flesh was then applied to all but the deepest recesses.  Finally the most pronounced features were highlighted with Elf Flesh.
  • Fatigues – I painted the entire area Graveyard Earth followed by Kommando Khaki, taking care not to get any in the deepest recessed.  Next I built up the the color with a 1:1 mix of Kommando Khaki and Skull White.  Finally I finished it off with a highlight of pure Skull White.
  • Aquila – Starting from a Chaos Black undercoat I painted the whole thing Shinning Gold.  I then painted Brown Ink into the recesses (this could be substituted for Devlan Mud).  Once the ink was dry I carefully highlighted the very edges with a 1:1 mix of Shinning Gold and Mithril Silver.

Thanks for stopping by.  Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. These are looking much, much better than table-top quality, and the tactical squad is fantastic as well. You've got an impressive painting style: very crisp, controlled, very tidy. It's a look that I really admire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are looking really sharp oni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a simple flesh scheme, but great end results. Ultra Power!

    ReplyDelete

Recommended Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin