Friday, July 24, 2009

Imperial Bastion Stage-by-Stage

Great looking Imperial Bastions in just four easy steps…

I picked up the Imperial Strongpoint the other day and was so excited I jumped right into it. I have to say that this set is amazing, both the bastions and the defense lines. You get tons of stuff and the detail on all of the pieces is incredible.

Step 1: After assembly and priming the bastion Chaos Black I used the Citadel spray gun to spray the entire bastion Catachan Green.

imperial bastion 001

Step 2: Once dry I used the Large Flat Drybrush and went over the entire bastion with Camo Green. TIP: In this step when drybrushing the bastion make sure to get almost all of the paint off the bristles and use a circular motion to drybrush. Using a circular motion will eliminate streaks and really brings out the detail.

imperial bastion 002

Step 3: Again, using my Large Flat Drybrush I picked out only the most prominent features of the bastion with Rotting Flesh.

imperial bastion 003

Step 4: This last stage is two parts. I used my Large Drybrush (not the Large Flat Drybrush) to bring out the detail on the Heavy Bolter’s, as well as some of the other metal bits, with Boltgun Metal. Lastly I stippled some Chaos Black into the battle scars and called it finished.

imperial bastion 004

I hope this little tutorial helps you get those bastions painted up and ready for games of Planetstrike. Comments and constructive criticism welcome as always. Thanks for stopping by and reading. Cheers!

7 comments:

  1. This may sound weird... but how do you get such a consistent drybrush on the texture? It looks really uniform!

    Basically...what is your drybrush technique?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The key to getting a consistent drybrush over the bastion is a combination of three things.

    1. The brush that you use. I used the Citadel Large Flat Drybrush. It's large surface area of bristles allow the pigment to be spread more evenly.

    2. The amount of paint loaded into the bristles. Allowing to much paint to sit in the bristles can cause streaks. If there's a significant amount of moisture / wet paint then it will be laid down and dragged across the surface causing a streaking affect. I wipe the drybrush clean with a paper towel until it looks like no more pigment is coming off, then I pinch the bristles with the paper towel. Pinching it gets out all of that unwanted moisture that's still inside the bristles that normal wiping doesn't get.

    3. The motion of the drybrush. This is probably the most important. Because most of the surface area is flat and again, I want to avoid streaks, I move the drybrush in a circular manner. By moving the the drybrush in small circles as opposed to the normal long sweeping motions, it's able to pick out all of the detail while not allowing for to long of a stroke that could potentially cause a streak.

    To pick out hard edges I will drag my dry brush across the edge in a manner that's like using a vegetable peeler.

    I repeat this until I bring the colour tone up to what I'm trying to achieve.

    I hope this answered your question. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long did it take you to paint this bastion?

    ReplyDelete
  4. your terrain (also looked at the sanctum below) is brilliant, the dusty drybrushing effect looks just great. My only (constructive) criticism is that you havent pin viced the bolters, theres no excuse dude they look SO much better when boared out! Hope you do it to really finish this great piece off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Anonumous - In all I think it took 2 maybe 3 hours total. To be honest I didn't keep track of the time as I was doing other household chores while completing the bastion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. where would the most prominent features of the bastion be?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Anonymous - The most prominent features = The features that stick out the farthest.

    ReplyDelete

Recommended Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin